Introduction to the TPA
The Texas Philatelic Association's purpose is to encourage the collecting of postage stamps and the study of postal history; to accumulate and disseminate philatelic materials; and to provide grants to philatelic authors and students. More than 400 members help to achieve these objectives.
The TPA became lifetime chapter #0632-049588 of the American Philatelic Society in 1966. Its affiliate, The Texas Philatelic Association Foundation, was established in 1975 as a tax-exempt entity to help better achieve the TPA goal of encouraging philatelic study and research. The Association is also associated with the Wineburgh Philatelic Research Library at the University of Texas at Dallas, which is the repository for the TPA archives and is considered one of the finest philatelic libraries in the nation.
Members of the organization enjoy a number of benefits, including a subscription to The Texas Philatelist, the organization's official publication; participation in auctions; buying and selling stamps on this website; and receipt of a membership directory that allows members having similar philatelic interests to contact each other. The TPA also has a well-established awards program which recognizes individuals for service to the organization and philately in general
The TPA is perhaps best known for its annual exhibition and convention, TEXPEX, which is now held around the first of March in the Dallas area. This stamp show has been a participant since 1988 in the American Philatelic Society's World Series of Philately, one of approximately 30 "national" level shows held annually. Exhibitors in these shows vie to become the "Champion of Champions," meaning having the best exhibit for the year in the nation.
TPA's Early Years
The idea for an organization of stamp collectors in Texas was first presented in 1896. The TPA Commitee for Organization, which included Edward W. Heusinger, Joesph A. Mueller and Julius Jermy, met with the Metropolitan Philatelic Club of San Antonio on November 13, 1896. They voted for Frederic Noyes as president and H.G. Askew and T.W. Robinson as vice presidents. The first annual convention was scheduled to be held April 21, 1897 in San Antonio. The first TPA publication was the Official Bulletin (1896). The TPA has had a host of other official publications, including Lone Star State Philatelist, the Collector's Gazette, the Philatelic Gossip, Stamp-Itis, and The Texas Philatelist, the current publication.